Trifecta: The Frog Prince

The frog contemplated the golden ball.  It glittered through the murky water, half-buried in the black silt of the pond’s bottom.  He could hear the princess crying above, her voice weirdly distorted by the water but still distinguishable.  The wavering image on the surface showed him a green dress and dark red hair.  Red.  Never his favorite.

He swam over and prodded the ball with one sticky toe.  It was his way out of this mess, he supposed.  Back to the old life of flavored ices and servant girls, assuming he could avoid marrying the weeper.  He slowly blinked the nictitating membrane across his eye, the best he could do for a nostalgic sigh in this clammy body.  It had been a good life, if not useful.  He’d been an idle prince at best, years from responsibility in a peaceful kingdom that did just fine with no help from him.  Lovely.

His parents had put it about that it had been a spiteful fairy, he’d heard.  It probably sounded better than admitting that he’d insulted a witch on his way out of her rumpled cottage bed the second night, and that she had decided sliminess suited him.  True love.  He would have rolled his eyes if he could have.  But it only had to be true love for her, didn’t it?  That might not be so hard.

Red-headed, though.  He peered up through the water, trying to discern what sort of figure was attached to all that red hair.  Hm.  He pushed off of the golden ball with a back foot, and swished back into the depths of the pond.  Princesses were so much work, after all.  And perhaps a blonde would come by later.

Welcome to this week’s Trifecta Writing Challenge!  This week called for 33 to 333 words on the third definition of the word IDLE (adj.):IDLE

3: a : shiftless, lazy
b : having no evident lawful means of support

1. Joe says:

Interesting version of the princess and the frog. I like it!

2. Suzanne says:

Annabelle, this is fabulous! Clever, funny and well-written. I love your frog-prince point of view – such an original take on the prompt!

• Cobbie's World says:

I loved how being idle was the preferred choice compared to a life with a princess who was a lot of work. Lots of guys feel that very same way! 🙂 Great re-telling of the tale from the frog’s pov! Very humourous take on a classic tale.

3. Roxanne says:

I love this take on such a classic story. Humorous and fun. I like how he goes back to his idle ways in the end, hoping for a better option.

4. FL says:

Ha Ha! I look forward to your writings to see what clever twist you’re going to add and I’m happy to report I wasn’t disappointed! Absolutely hilarious that he decides he’d rather stay as he is than go through all of that *work* for a princess, a red-headed one at that. Love it!

5. Atreyee says:

Ha!ha!Enjoyed the idle thoughts of the idle frog prince thoroughly;-)His brain is definitely not idle.Loved the tongue-in-cheek humour-red head & blondes,lol!This one is a winner through & through:-)

6. Steph says:

I enjoyed this immensely. How clever to take the frog’s POV. Princesses are so much work – too funny. Nicely done!

7. Tina says:

I love this personification of idle. A prince who can’t be bothered to lift his own curse!

8. Draug (@Draug419) says:

*flails* zomg! This story is in my very, very old fairy tale book that I still have from when I was a kid in single digits! *flails again* I recognized it by the very first line with the golden ball! 😀 😀 😀 😀 Okay I’m done lol

Heh. That’s a neat twist on the story. I kinda feel sorry for the poor blonde princess who eventually kisses him, though.

10. JannaTWrites says:

Oh my goodness, this is hilarious. The frog prince is such a….a…toad! Red should consider herself lucky he couldn’t be bothered to approach her. I think frog-ness suits him and he rather deserves it 🙂

11. ZennJenn says:

Very clever. Nice twist on a classic tale despite the lack of love for red heads.

12. I find this attitude to be true of other, non-frog creatures as well. Very amusing and a nice flip on a fairy tale.

I love, love, love this one. This one made me smile!

Thanks, everyone! I flipped through a list of old fairy tales before I wrote this, which was fun in and of itself.