Trifecta: Nightlark

Camilia was relaxing in a chair by the window when the slim black figure materialized out of the shadows.  She noted the ebony leathers with an amused arch of the eyebrow.

“How dramatic.  Dressing for your office?”

A smile appeared on the dark face as he sketched a bow.  “Dressing for travel.  I’m leaving for Maj Malai this evening.”

“Ah.”  She glanced out at the bright face of the moon.  Almost at the full; only a few nights from the hunt.  “You wanted to speak with me personally?”

A slight inclination of the head.  “All of the essentials were in the report my office provided to Sai” — Sai had briefed Camilia on it — “But our people in Shin Ai have picked up… some concerning sentiment regarding the Kanjirian trade agreement.”

“There’s been no mention of that in the dispatches from our embassy.”

“Indeed.”  His tone was studiously bland.

She sighed and put a hand up to rub the bridge of her nose.  The embassy in Shin Ai was the one her father had appointed the oldest of her half-brothers to.  Vahl, who’d had five years before her birth to think he might inherit the throne.

“Very well.  You will return to Maj Delumai…”

“Within the week.  I might have a word with my counterpart while I’m there.”

That drew a quirk of the mouth from her.  “You astonish me.”  She could think of few things less likely than two Tevalle spymasters resisting the temptation to exchange secrets.  “Good hunt to you.”

“Your majesty.”  He did her the courtesy of letting her hear the door open and close on the way out.

Camilia turned back to the window opening on the moonlit courtyard.  “Need you have given me so many siblings?”  There was no answer, but in a tree, a nightlark began to sing, so Camilia smiled and turned away.

Welcome to this week’s Trifecta Writing Challenge This week called for 33 to 333 words on the third definition of the word BLACK (adj.): 3: dressed in black .  Thanks for reading!

I just love the character you’ve created here. I love the spymaster being so ill at ease in the palace that he is actually horribly wordy. It isn’t that he reveals too much (though he should surely tell her everything) but that his word choices show his discomfort. She, in contrast, is clipped and purposeful in her speech. I LOVE the way you have created their characters like that!

Such a big world created in such a short piece! So many fantastic details! I need to go back and read the other pieces with Camilla et al. I loved the bit about doing her “the courtesy of letting her hear the door open and close on the way out.” Very telling, that.

Crisp dialogue; beautiful visuals; a yearning and wonder.

4. Brian says:

The little gestures are great — the slight inclination of the head, the “sketched” bow. You also manage to sketch out a really interesting world in a short space. The spymaster reminds me a bit of Varys from Game of Thrones, and you did a great job showing his skill rather than telling it. Nice!

5. This piece transported me there. I love it! Thank you for stopping by my blog and your comment.

6. Tara R. says:

Good work on the dialogue. The little touches of detail makes the conversation feel natural.

7. stephanie says:

Sibling rivalry – I like it. Nice work. You’ve created a distrustful mood. Nice touches with the inclination of her head, the arch of an eyebrow.

8. Flippa Bird says:

Oh the intrigue! Your dialogue is wonderful, I can hear them talking. And the imagery is great! I love a good spy story, but the intimacy of this is fantastic. :)

9. great tone and pacing. flows so well and so enjoyably readable :-)

Goes to show that the basic elements of life and difficulties with family can apply to anyone, anywhere :)

I loved the back and forth dialogue between the two. I could picture them easily

11. zoe says:

It’s been a long time since I read Dean Koontz but this scene reminded of his tone. Great job.

Wow. I didn’t expect all this. :-) I really liked some of your turns of phrase here. You kept things tight but still descriptive. Nice job with the prompt. Thanks for linking up.

13. this dark figure has my intrigue caught. and, as always, you write very well. the last comment of camilia’s gave me a slight chuckle. i find two siblings to be too many, poor girl lol

excellent job. I really enjoyed this piece and look forwarding to reading more!