Trifecta: Driven

They fled into the night, Dala laughing hysterically and Hasari gritting his teeth.  He’d scraped his face in the rush to get out the window, and Dala had nearly been shot by a guard, but she kept laughing, laughing, as if they had never done anything so amusing.  They could both have been killed, and for what?

The city streets flew by, dark and too familiar.  Just the sight of them made him tired. “Stop.  STOP!”  He grabbed her arm roughly and dragged her into an alley.

“We can’t keep doing this, Dala.  We –” he ran out of words.  “We just can’t.”

“What do you mean?  Of course we can!”  There was a feverish shine on her face, a fretful energy that was afraid to rest.

“What do I mean?  I mean it’s only blind luck that we’re not dead yet!”  Her carefree nonchalance had stopped being convincing a long time ago.  It had been real once, and he’d loved her for it.  These days it had a manic edge, a desperation for the girl who’d existed before the Fall to still be there.  It had taken him a long time to recognize: she couldn’t stop.  She would keep looking for trouble until it consumed her.

He had nothing left.

“We should go back.”  A rough village in the middle of nowhere, a life in hiding.  It no longer seemed like the worst thing that could happen.

She reared back sharply, incredulous.  “They told us not to leave.”

“And they were right.”  The words fell between them like lead.  She was staring at him with a blank look on her face, like he was speaking a language she didn’t understand. He looked away.  “I’m going back.”  He didn’t have to ask.  She wasn’t coming with him.  He looked back at her face for a long moment, memorizing.

“Goodbye, Dala.”  He dropped the words over his shoulder and left her, standing in the alley and staring after him.

Welcome to this week’s Trifecta Writing Challenge!  This week called for 33 to 333 words using the third definition of the word BLIND (adj.):

BLIND (adjective)

This is another story of the aftermath of The Fall.  Thanks for reading!
  1. Lumdog says:

I enjoyed reading this. You’ve done a great job of showing the conflict between these two. I hope there will be more.

2. deana says:

Such a hard goodbye. Very well written.

3. I love your travel stories. They always have a magical quality to them.

I absolutely love the way you create this world and weave it into existence with so few words. There are hints of a postapocalyptic future, and yet these are not innocent or heroic characters. Dala has the potential to become desperate and hardened, and Hasari is trapped between bad options.

5. Jack Kastor says:

“The words fell between them like lead,” and “He dropped the words over his shoulder…”

Two quotes I loved. Your words are so alive on the page, they’re practically establishing their own government.

6. a carefree fervor turned to a manic need to contradict order. it seems dala may be just as conflicted as the relation between her and hasari, assuming one will continue to exist. well written.

Nice story. It seems these two can’t be together, but I’m not so sure they can be apart, either. I hope you keep writing this story so I can find out 🙂

So many questions! I’m dying to know what they were doing, exactly, and what did they leave behind, that Hasimi is returning to?

Your writing is such a pleasure to read. I really love how you use actions in place of descriptions to give us a sense of their personalities and relationship.

9. Linda Vernon says:

Annabelle this is really good. I was there every step of the way and I loved the dialogue. This was a pleasure to read! 😀

This is a great short piece on its own. I really enjoyed the ending–it feels like the goodbye is being said to the reader. A nice, strong response to the prompt. Thanks for linking up.

11. oh! i’m going to have to go back and read the earlier pieces. this one captured my attention and interest all on its own!

I loved this one! You captured it very well.

Thanks so much, everyone! I think Dala is headed to a bad end.