Trifecta: Deposed

Jack dropped down onto the stoop and stared blankly at the street.  Was that it?  The sun shone and a car drove by, just like it was any other day.  The reflected light flashed in his eyes.

“Are you okay, honey?  You look a little blue.”  A light voice came from behind him.

He reared back and gave her a revolted look.  Blue?  Men weren’t blue.  Chicks could be blue.  Men, men were… nobly stoic.  “I’m fine.”  Had he really been supplanted so soon?  He knew it would come in the end, but…

A hand carded through his hair.  “You should really be very proud.”  A mischievous note entered her voice.  “He didn’t just beat you, he owned you.”

Jack slanted his eyes at her grumpily.  That, regrettably, was true.  He winced as an ungodly honking noise started coming from the house.  Apparently the new champion had coopted his sister’s clarinet for his victory parade.

She noticed his wince.  “It’s not like you aren’t just as bad when you win.”

“Claire?”

“Yes?”

“Stop helping.”

She laughed, ruffled his hair, and went back to the door.  “Join us when you’re ready.  The Lord Champion has decreed that we’re having broccoli and cheese with dinner.”

He slumped, and a sigh escaped him.  “I hate broccoli and cheese.”  Then he levered himself up, nobly assumed a congratulatory expression, and went back in to face the new ten-year-old Scrabble champ.

Welcome to this week’s Trifecta Writing Challenge. This week calls for 33 to 333 words using the third definition of the word BLUE (adjective):

1 : of the color blue
2 a : bluish b : discolored by or as if by bruising
c : bluish gray
3 a : low in spirits : melancholy
b : marked by low spirits : depressing

1. Tessa says:

Nice story. Enjoyed reading it!

2. Cathy says:

Very well done. Love the light humor in this, anything but blue. 🙂

3. I like that you didn’t get maudlin with the theme. As the biggest loser at Scrabble, I totally understand his pain.

4. Cameron says:

“Stop helping.”

Just so brilliant. Also? “Men weren’t blue.”

5. Jennifer says:

I love how hung up he is on words, especially after being owned in scrabble. It does make one a little sensitive. I agree the light humor here was a nice contrast to the potential weight of the definition. It was a lovely read and take on the prompt.

6. He really should be very proud. Good for Mom for reminding him! Nicely done.

7. Tara R. says:

Oh this is priceless. This sounded so much like my childhood and how my brother would gloat when he won Monopoly. I still won’t play the game with him.

“Stop helping” so perfect! I know a whole lot of people that don’t take well to losing games. But to get beaten by a whipper snapper of a ten year old, even better and hopefully he’s thrilled deep down inside.

Our family Scrabble games are pretty intense, so I can completely relate (off to look up Q words…)

I love this! It’s tough when a child first beats you at a skill game and you didn’t let them win. She’s right though: he should be proud 🙂

11. Excellent! You keep us guessing, and the payoff is delightful. Made me laugh out loud. Well done.

12. Outstanding. I truly loved this story.

“The Lord Champion.” *snort* This was great – I love the aggrieved tone. I was a little confused about the relationships. Claire is Jack’s sister, and the Lord Champion his nephew (her son)? Not terribly important, perhaps.

Thanks, all! I intended for the sister to be the kid’s sister (unseen) and the two adults to be his parents, but I see how you could be confused by that.

Thanks for linking up with Trifecta. Ugh, this brought back memories of childhood. I feel bad for the times I gloated about a win, but I still kind of feel worse for the times I lost out to a gloating brother. 🙂 Stop helping was perfect. Hope to see you back for the weekend prompt.

16. Hilarious, and so, so typical! I love how you captured the spirit of a defeated man!

17. Arnel says:

This is great! It captures the personalities of the kids so perfectly! I loved it!

18. sandra tyler says:

This is really excellent. You’re a good fiction writer! Would love to have you link up with one of my writing workshop hops — this would be a good example of the “close” 3rd person which will be one of them!

I love the light touch. I can feel for his wounded pride – a 10 year old beating him on scrabble, hah! 🙂

20. Adorable. I LOVE those moments. And with a 12 year old in the house, they’re certainly coming around here.

Oh, how he will hate to fall from his throne … of basketball … and football … and running … and ….

(wicked smile)

Excellent. Very well done lady. I love it.