Trifecta: The Saber

Cy stared down at the gleaming saber. It lay unwinking on the rough kitchen table with the handful of other possessions that were all that had come back. A ring, a pair of daggers, a heavy purse of coins that would be the last payment from the company. That was all.

He reached out to touch it, running his fingers along the watered blade. His father had let him hold it, had even let him practice with it once to celebrate his twelfth birthday. It had always been there at his father’s side, as inseparable from him as his arm.

An age-spotted hand knocked his hand away from it. “No more of that, boy.” His grandfather’s face was like a thunderstorm. “That’ll lead you nowhere but the same place it took your father. You’re a weaver now.”

Cy hardly saw him. All he could see was the saber, slowly starting to blur. A familiar smell surrounded him, and he felt hands on his shoulders. His mother turned him to face her. Her hair was a mess and her hazel eyes were reddened, but her voice was reassuring. “It’s all right, sweetheart.” She reached up to touch his face. “It’s going to be okay. We’re going to go live with your grandfather now. I’m going to need you to help me take care of your brother and your sisters. Can you help me do that?”

Cy rubbed roughly at his eyes, and nodded. His mother smiled. “I know you can. You’re going to do just fine. Now why don’t you come help me get the girls packed up.” She turned away from the table.  The new man of the house squared his shoulders and followed.

This week’s prompt from Trifecta Writing Challenge asks for 33 to 333 words on the third definition of the word NEW (adjective):

1: having recently come into existence

2 a (1) : having been seen, used, or known for a short time (2) : unfamiliar
b : being other than the former or old

3: having been in a relationship or condition but a short time

Oh wow – I love the implication that different cultures carry different skillsets. In this case, it looks like he has been forced to leave his father’s warrior tribe to return to his mother’s weaver people, but he still longs for his father, and associates his father with that weapon. Thus, he misses being part of the warrior tribe.

Interesting story. I could feel his heartbreak over losing his father and that particular world. I hope he can find the strength to make the most of his new role

You can sense Cy’s hurt and torment over his changing path in life and loss of his father, at a seemingly young age. You can feel his trepidation in your writing. Kind of creeped out by the “new” man.

4. Oh! I like this very much. You’ve captured a poignant moment here, with a cultural edge. Very nice.

5. Tara R. says:

Just as timely today with our own soldiers not coming home to their families. Well done.

6. kathy says:

This manages to be quite moving in just a few paragraphs. I’m interested to find out if grandfather is right, and he manages to stay “just” a weaver now that he has to fill his father’s footprints.

7. Gene says:

And the weight of responcibilty is hoisted upon his shoulders.

Great story. 🙂

I am with Kathy. Will he be able to stay a *mere* weaver? The legacy of his father calls and his dilemma is so nicely written. 🙂

9. Cathy says:

I like the writing. Nothing forced about it. Tight but not too tight and there is a natural close to the scene.

10. rashmenon says:

love it; way to go 🙂

11. Gosh, I can feel the weight those shoulders carry. Well done, Annabelle.

12. This felt important and intimate. We’re sharing a moment of this kid’s life that he will remember forever.

13. Hope he can carry the burden well. This is sad, it brings out his loss in strong manner.

I find it fascinating that he’s the new man of the house, even though his grandfather’s still around. There’s all sorts of family conflict brewing there, and I don’t think he’s going to stay a weaver for long. He’s going to go back to the saber, I bet.

15. Poor little man. I understand why he becomes “the man” over his grandfather. His mother felt he was old enough (man enough) to take over the responsibility for their nuclear family. I get that. And I like it.

16. It’s almost as if he wants it to lead him where it took his father, to be with him again by being like him as well as possibly to avenge him.
    Thanks for playing with us again. We look forward to reading more of your words.

1. […] one follows on last week’s response.  Thanks for reading! Be Sociable, Share! […]

2. […] to his story.  If you’re interested in seeing other episodes in his life, take a look at The Saber, Escape, and The Wanderer (about Dyan).  Thanks for reading!  Be Sociable, Share! […]

3. […]   d : an opening in the side of an organ flue pipe For more of Cy’s adventures, start with The Saber or click on the Calere category on the sidebar.  Thanks for reading! Be Sociable, […]