Trifecta: The Dreamer

If you saw her on the street, you’d think she was the farthest thing from wild.  She was subdued, self-contained, oddly passionless.  She rode the bus, every day the same, scuffed penny loafers tucked neatly under her, limp white button shirt hanging slightly askew.  Her gaze drifted vaguely over the bustling commuters; did she even see them around her?

Perhaps not.  It was behind her eyes that the tempest lay.  The skies she saw were endless, and under them, fires burned.  Civilizations fell.  Dragons flew.  It was in the untrackable places her heart went that she really lived, unfettered and free.

This week’s prompt from Trifecta Writing Challenge asks for 33 to 333 words using the third definition of the word WILD (adj):

3: a (1): not subject to restraint or regulation : uncontrolled; also : unruly
(2) : emotionally overcome; also : passionately eager or enthusiastic

1. Excellent. This line lingers:

I think we have all lived there, at one point or another…and sometimes long to, again.

2. sandra tyler says:

oh, really NICE. Strong writing. Great wild.

3. Tania says:

“The skies she saw were endless, and under them, fires burned. Civilizations fell. Dragons flew.”

There is so much power in these few words. I love them.

4. Shawna says:

This is great. Love this:

“under them, fires burned. Civilizations fell. Dragons flew.”

“places her heart went” that’s where all the passion lies anyway. I like the idea that how she appears on the outside isn’t as she is on the inside. I really understand this notion. And don’t mind being in that place at all and often find myself. Nicely done.

6. Abby says:

Wow. This is so powerful and really, really struck a chord with me, perhaps I see too much of myself in your words. But at any rate, very poignant and excellent writing. I dig it.

I’ve ridden the bus before…you kind of have to mentally go somewhere else to make it bearable 🙂

I like the descriptions you used and the secret of her wild side that’s locked behind her outward appearance.

8. Paula J says:

Your physical description of her is excellent. I can see her. Good job.

Ah, you never really know what lurks inside.

My favorite line is “untrackable places her heart went”, and I think this serves as a reminder that the drab looking person on the bus may not be so boring as you think!

11. FL says:

Wow… you do have a way in your writing of drawing people in. But it’s all such a tease! There’s not more afterwards! We’re left wondering who she is, where she’s been… Well done, you!

12. Lyraa says:

Wow! The words blended perfectly and the picturesque was vivid.

Nice read !

13. May says:

Nicely done. The character is engaging and has depth enough to pull me in. I am interested in knowing more.

14. Sandra says:

Really beautifully done — showing her true heart as ‘unfettered and free’. I love the imagery in your short, succinct writing.

15. Lucy says:

Oh, I like where this took me. You and I came to the same conclusion: to be wild is to be free.

“It was behind her eyes that the tempest lay. The skies she saw were endless, and under them, fires burned. Civilizations fell. Dragons flew.”

Oh, I love that line. I do so love that line.

17. Yours is my favorite response so far. “Fires burned. Civilizations fell. Dragons flew.” How I love this! How lucky she is that someone sensed the passion within.

18. Liz says:

Very nice! I especially love the last sentence: “It was in the untrackable places her heart went that she really lived, unfettered and free.”

Thanks, all! I suspect that place is one that most writers have spent some time in.

20. this reminds me of how i am on long car rides. i completely zone out and my mind wanders to who-knows-where. everyone should take a moment and let their imagination run free. it certainly would be more entertaining than a mundane bus ride everyday!